Monday 26 March 2012

The BW Trilogy: Part 3


14 October 2011

So today the final part of the BW Trilogy and for all you folk who consider yourself normal, today I will let you into the life and thoughts of a BW.  Not always a pleasant place to be but may be it will help instil a little more tolerance and understanding which is all we really ask.  I have been disowned by my parents and mocked by my family and friends but I still believe it’s been the right thing to do.

The day of an average BW begins just like anyone else’s and as we leave our homes and make our way to the bus stop no one would know we were any different from the other pedestrians happily journeying to work.  People you pass nod or say hello and I often wonder what they would say if they knew what I was about to do.

Usually I go into the Spar shop where I can watch through the window to see who else is gathering at the stop and I always wait until there is a bit of a crowd before joining them as close to the bus due time as possible. 

Although it is usually the same people at the stop eye contact or any real form of acknowledgement is discouraged and there is a palpable tension in the air as the sign changes to say “Bus Due”.  By this time we all just want to get on board and away from the stares and sneering smiles of the passing motorists and when the bus finally approaches there is an almost audible sigh of relief.

There is often no immediate movement as the doors open as if everyone is reconsidering if they are doing the right thing.  Then almost as one we begin to move forward and in a surprisingly orderly and controlled fashion begin to board the bus. 

The driver, or Supplier as we call him, rarely glances our way and as most of us are addicts and have purchased multi trip cards we board quickly and quietly.  Occasionally some poor newbie may produce cash to pay for their trip and they are more often than not treated with derision by the supplier as it means he is forced to acknowledge them and a grunt followed by a heavy sigh is the normal response. 

Surprisingly Suppliers treat BWs, the source of their income at the end of the day, with undisguised contempt.  I have seen Suppliers watch some desperate BW running in the rain towards a bus and wait until they almost make it before closing the door and then driving off.  Leaving behind the wretched, sodden and exhausted BW to go cold turkey alone until the next bus arrives.

Once aboard the next issue is where to sit.  Those already seated will always make themselves as big as possible to avoid you sitting beside them and it is only in extreme circumstances where one would want to actually do that.  Conversation is the last thing anyone wants so people bury themselves in books or newspapers or pretend to be having chats on their phones.  The worst are those with iPods who insist on singing tunelessly to an unheard song and there is usually a large empty area in their vicinity.

Normally I would go to the back where I feel most secure as I can watch for anyone approaching and take appropriate action if they look likely to invade my space.  This would usually involve putting my feet on the seat in front of me and placing a bag on the seat beside me and virtually daring them to ask me to move either which they never do.  Seat belts are provided but must NEVER be worn as this would be construed as a sign of weakness and you would be openly laughed at.

The buses I use are double deckers and I often watch the younger BWs going up the stairs and wonder what goes on up there.  I have never built up the nerve to go up and investigate but they always appear to come down a little wobbly and spaced out so I think I will leave that mystery unsolved.  Maybe it’s something to do with the altitude. 

Journeys are usually uneventful apart from guarding your space, and the next point you need to be on the ball is as your stop approaches.  Suppliers don’t actually like to stop so it is wise to push the bell well in advance. No matter how many BWs are exiting each will push the bell at least once to be absolutely sure the Supplier cannot ignore them and of course in the hope of annoying him. 

The last challenge is the dismount which must be done quickly and the intention is to get off the bus and mingling with the pedestrians before anyone realises where you have come from and one should try to have a “Bus? What bus?” look on one's face. 

So that’s the journey done and you now spend the day contemplating the return and knowing that the cycle will continue unbroken…………………..

Now you have had an insight into the sad world of the BW.  I hope in some way you have learned something and I have helped to dispel the image which is unfairly applied to us.  Stereotyping is a terrible thing and whilst I accept all Chinese look the same, all Catholics say ‘H’ funny and of course all French people smell of garlic when it comes to BWs we are all individuals and all we ask is to be treated that way…………………………………………

No comments:

Post a Comment