Tuesday 15 May 2012

SPAIN PART 1 …………… THE JOURNEY


8 February 2012

Well we are back from our little soiree to Spain and a great time was had by all. Lots of stories so I might as well start at the beginning.

SPAIN PART 1 …………… THE JOURNEY

We were ready to leave the house early on Friday morning and, as any good daddy does,  I went through the checks with Alena and Robyn to ensure that they had everything.  You know what women are like …... Passports? – Yes. Make-up? – Yes. Money? - Yes etc etc and all appeared well. We left in good time and were on the M2 approaching the airport when I realised………….. I had forgotten my Driving Licence. 

“I’ve forgotten my Licence” I mumbled
“What?” asked Alena
“I’ve forgotten my Licence” I mumbled again
“You’re hot and dry since what ?????” she asked
“I’VE FORGOTTEN MY FLIPPING DRIVING LICENCE”

Short silence followed by lots of hee heeing from the ladies at me being the one that had forgotten something.

“Ah well, not to worry, you’ll just have to drive” I said, turning to Alena and enjoying the smile fading from her face.
“No way!. I can’t drive on this side of the road never mind the other” she replied.
“No choice. We haven’t time to go back and we really need a car, so it’s you I’m afraid” I said, feeling quite smug and enjoying the sight of Alena’s face draining of blood before my very eyes.

Another short silence followed as that news sank in, then a spark of light as she realised she could ring Ross, who was home in bed, and get him to bring my licence up. A quick phone call later, a somewhat reluctant, Ross was en-route and Alena was able to breathe again. 

In truth this was a close call for us all as Alena’s previous history of driving on the right is not good. She has only actually done it once when we were on holiday in Spain with friends. She and the other girl (Pauline) had headed off to the nearby shops and we watched as they disappeared down the road weaving from side to side and obviously gesticulating at each other as to where they should be on the road. It was only a short distance with one junction - a roundabout, which even with two of them working on it they managed to balls up and go around the wrong way. They returned later in one piece but sweating profusely and vowing never to try and get involved in, what should be, an exclusively male role again.

Anyhow, I digress. Ross met us at a restaurant near the airport and we made it just in time, which itself was a stroke of luck as it stopped the girls from doing any shopping as we had to rush to the gate. 

Being a Concierge, that’s a job with a French name, we had ‘Speedy boarder’ tickets and waved ‘queen like’ at the poor people as we sauntered up to the check-in. We had a clever plan to spread ourselves over 6 seats in an attempt to gain some extra room if the plane wasn’t full and we put this into action when we boarded. 

Robyn, unfortunately, chickened out and instead of sitting in the middle seat, sat at the aisle and consequently two ‘ole’ folk settled down beside her. She paid the price for her reluctance as the gentleman talked to her the entire way over and, no matter how much she tried to bury her head in her book, he kept coming up with new pearls of wisdom he felt imperative to share. She kept looking over at me with a ‘Save me’ look in her eyes, only to get a tap on her shoulder from her new best friend determined to continue a very one sided conversation.

How I laughed………………….

Tomorrow………………… THE CAR HIRE

No comments:

Post a Comment