Monday 14 May 2012

Theatre Night


2 February 2012

My good lady and I attended (please read this bit in an upper class accent) ‘the theatre’ last night.

Most of you less classy folk will think that is somewhere one goes for an operation, but it is, in fact, a place where the artier among us go to enjoy some live entertainment. Again, to assist the more ignorant of my friends, ‘Live entertainment’ is where one is actually present during the performance and there is no pause or rewind button.

Obviously, if one has a job with a French name, such as Concierge, being involved in the arts is expected of one and our patronage is actively sought at these occasions. I took Alena along last night really just to make up the numbers and, as her job is only letters, ‘P.A.’, she was a bit in awe of the proceedings.

On entering the ‘Theatre’ she demanded I get her an extra large coke, popcorn and a family size bag of Maltesers. I explained that those types of refreshments were not available in an establishment such as this but she could have a glass of red wine if she wished and, of course, she asked for a large glass.

I attempted to make conversation with some fellow ‘Theatre goers’ and briefly became involved in a discussion regarding the dramatic depths and social aspirations displayed in the long running play ‘The Mousetrap’ until Alena pointed out she had that game when she was a child!

After a further large glass of wine, I finally persuaded Alena to follow me to our seats and I could see she was a bit put off by the lack of a large screen. I explained that real people would be standing in front of us performing and she simply giggled as the last time she had seen that was in an adult theatre in Amsterdam.

The play was called “Singing I’m no a Billy I’m a Tim” and was a satirical look at the sectarian and bigoted views of opposing football supporters in Glasgow. It involved two such supporters, one Celtic - one Rangers, locked in a police cell for a few hours together and the interactions between them.

It attempted to convey how we are all the same underneath and that it is merely an accident of birth that decides the bonds that we form and the people that we become. I’m not sure how true that is as I reckon it is genetics that influence whether you have two eyebrows or just one great big one, or if you can say the letter ‘H’ right or not. It was, however, very funny with such witticisms as “How can you tell ET is a Catholic”……………Answer “Just look at him”.

When the lights went up at the end of the play I discovered Alena had texted her way through the entire thing and was more interested in asking the lady beside us where she had bought her shoes than having an intellectual discussion regarding the plays message and the underlying social values it characterized.

Next time I’ll just take her to see “Jack and the Beanstalk”

No comments:

Post a Comment