Sunday 8 April 2012

Swimming in Nicotine


10 November 2011

Isn’t it funny how some days you just feel good and in control.  Life is good, exciting a great adventure worth living.  Other days you wake tired and lethargic and can’t be bothered with anything and wondering what it’s all about and who cares anyway.

Well today I’m feeling good and in control.  My life is good, damn good in fact compared to many, and I have only one thing that is pissing me off and as of today I am going to deal with it…………………..chewies.

About 8 years ago myself and Al were smokers.  Yes I have to admit it we were two of those smelly, nicotine stained, selfish, air polluting bastards you see huddled around street corners trying to pretend they are enjoying themselves.  We were literally spending hundreds of pounds on the old cancer sticks and turning ourselves into shrivelled disease ridden husks at the same time so vowed to stop.

We swore we had had enough and started chewing the nicotine gum Nicorette as a replacement.  I think we stopped for about 3 months that first time but during that period we became addicted to the gum and so when we started smoking we ended up doing both.  We literally would have a cigarette and as soon as it was finished we would take a chewy.  We were swimming in nicotine. 

This happened a few times stopping the cigarettes then starting again but never stopping chewing they became a total way of life.  About 4 years ago we finally kicked the smoking habit, hopefully for good, but still all this time later are chewing away merrily.

The problem is it’s not just 2 or 3 a day it’s more like 15 – 20 and we are back to spending hundreds of pounds on them instead of ciggies and have simply swapped one addiction for another. 

The other problem is of course we don’t know what damage we are doing to ourselves.  You are only meant to take these for about 3 months no more than 10 a day and we are at it 8 years at 20 a day.  I don’t think anyone knows the side effects from that because nobody does it but for all we know our legs could fall off in a week. 

Anyhow I woke this morning in good form.  We had been out with friends last night and had a few drinks and chewed like bastards as usual.  We had been talking about stopping so I just decided enough is enough and today is the day.

So this morning on my way down to join the other sad BWs (anyone who doesn’t know what a BW is please see "BW Trilogy" started 12th Oct in my status) I called in at the shop and bought some celery (good for passing the time) bananas and ordinary chewing gum. This will be my first nicotine free day in 40 years. 

Was up at 5.30am this morning and its now 8.30am so doing good so far.   No obvious changes yet.  Thought I might start seeing things in brighter colour or 3D or something but all still fairly normal.  Maybe slightly more irritable than normal but if anyone has a problem with that they can ‘FUCK OFF’!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment