Monday 2 April 2012

Never and I Mean Never Think About Thinking if You Want to Get to Sleep


22 October 2011

I have a mind numbness today due to an over exuberant night out last night.  A quick meal and home by 10 ended as a pub crawl and home by 2.  I therefore declare myself statusless yet again this Saturday...................... this is becoming a habit, but a fun one.  Going to Andrew and Lynn’s Halloween party on Friday so can confidently say next Saturday is another right off...... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25 October 2011

Ok back to work...no more time for mind numbness and in fact time for the exact opposite.

A couple of nights ago we were watching the ‘Ricky Gervais’ show and Karl, the ‘Idiot’ from ‘Idiot Abroad’, made a rather complicated statement about the brain and thoughts which I’ll not even try and put down in words.

Anyhow last night I was lying in bed and couldn’t sleep.  Tossing and turning and trying to think of something boring to help me nod off.  I started to think about thinking.  What is thinking?  Is thinking a completely automatic activity?  Could I stop myself thinking and if I did how would I start again without thinking about it?  (If Al is reading this she will have a headache already).

Anyhow this then progressed to what would a person’s first thought be?  Would the thought be in pictures or words?  Never having seen anything or learning any words then what would that thought be made of?  Is that first thought the point we become human?  Is a cake a cake when all the ingredients are in a bowl but not baked or a car a car when all the parts are in the garage but not put together?

I’m sitting now thinking what to say next and the thought seems to be in words but if I wonder what Al’s doing at the minute that thought seems to be in pictures.  Is there a third option I can’t spot?

You’ll probably all ‘think’ I’m nuts but it’s an interesting philosophical question.  How much control do we have over our own thoughts?  Do our thoughts control us or do we control them?  If we have a problem do we have various depts in our brains that look for alternative answers then report back to management who make a final decision?  If so who is management and do stupid people just have crap I.T. depts. 

So that’s what I’m thinking about today and hopefully some of you may be able to answer some of these questions but beware anyone mentions God gets unfriended.

Any thoughts???

By the way there is a moral to this story…………….”Never and I mean never think about thinking if you want to get to sleep”

No comments:

Post a Comment